About 20 archers have applied for the Bhutan Grand Prix, the first open international style compound archery tournament to take place in Thimphu among Bhutanese next month.
The online registration began earlier this month and it will close on April 27.
The three-day competition is scheduled from May 12 to 15 at the Changlimithang Stadium.
The Bhutan Archery Federation (BAF), in collaboration with the Bhutan Olympic Committee and Woezer Events, will conduct the maiden competition among men.
Archers have to pay Nu 1,000 as an entry fee and there is no age limit.
BAF’s programme officer, Pema Zangmo, said organisers expect at least 50 participants in this pilot event. “Because of the lockdown, we now have less or no time for proper promotional strategies.”
She said the organisers have planned many activities, but had to rush things. “We are still optimistic some participants to register in the coming days. If not, we are hoping that more people will show interest in the next edition.”
After the tournament, eight players will be shortlisted and four will be selected to represent Bhutan in the upcoming 19th Asian Games from September 10 to 25 in Hangzhou, China.
Meanwhile, the first open international style compound archery tournament is to create inclusive and competent compound style archers to represent the country in international games.
The shortlisted players will be paid during their training period.
In this tournament, archers are allowed to use accessories such as sights and triggers, which is also one of the mandates of organisers.
Participants would be allowed to use the bow and arrows they use in the local tournament, a mechanical bow with a levering system composed of cables and pulleys to bend the limbs and aluminium arrows.