Chencho Dema

Punakha – Family members of Jamuna Chhetri who went missing on July 8, have been appealing to the public after her CID number was punched into the checkpost management system at Walklaytar on July 18.

Although it is claimed that the woman was on a Dagana bus headed south, it is unknown if it was Jamuna who registered the number on CPMS. Police had blacklisted her ID number.

Kuensel learnt that the woman had made a friend request via her Facebook profile. Her phone is still switched off.

The 25-year-old salesgirl in Bajo town was earlier suspected to have committed suicide after she was allegedly threatened by her boyfriend’s wife.

Her boyfriend, a businessman in Bajo allegedly picked her up from the town and kept her in a hotel room in Khuruthang and returned to Bajo.

A CCTV footage showed her walking towards Khuruthang bridge but not returning.

Before her disappearance, she had called some of her friends and told them that she was going to commit suicide by jumping from the Khuruthang bridge and that the wife would be responsible for her death. The wife and Jamuna knew each other. 

She had also sent a voice message to one of her friends saying that the wife of her lover had threatened her and that she was going to kill herself. The phone was then turned off.

Her slippers were found near the bridge but her phone was missing.

Her phone’s last known location was somewhere near the Mochhu parking lot next to the Punakha dzong.

The couple was released after questioning. Relatives of the missing woman were also questioned.

A cousin said, “We would like to request that this case be taken up by NCWC and help the woman and her parents.”

The cousin appealed to the public to call either 17900604 (Brother) or 97517553375 (Father) if they had seen his sister or knew anything about her whereabouts. “Family members will support you no matter what, but please come back wherever you are,” he said.

Police are still investigating the case and said they have been updating the family members of regularly. 

The social media pages of the woman are being monitored to see if there are any activities.