Breaking news: About half of some 100 shops that make up the Sarpang bazaar were completely gutted in a fire that started around 8pm today.
Police suspect the fire started from a shoe shop that’s located at the end of the market. Residents said they experienced power fluctuation during the day and that the shopkeepers were burning candles to light their shops. Since it was windy, they suspect the fire to have started from one of the candles.
Three fire brigades and hundreds of policemen, army personnel, firefighters, locals and Desupps managed to contain the blaze by 10pm. Arrangements are underway to evacuate the shop residents to the dzongkhag’s multi purpose hall. No casualty has been reported.