Advertisement

A fire that started around 10am in the Royal Bhutan Police (RBP) compound in Changzamtok in Thimphu yesterday gutted six temporary sheds.

No casualties were reported.

A victim, forty-three-year-old Bim Badhur, who is a plumber, said that he was inside the house when his mother came rushing with the news. He immediately carried the two LPG cylinders out of his kitchen.

“I have been living here for 13 years and, now, everything is gone,” he said.

Bim Badhur’s younger sister, Balika Bishwa, said that her mother was taking a stroll behind the temporary sheds when she saw the flames rising up the roof of the second shed where a cook used to live.

The cook’s wife, Dawa Zangmo, said that there was no one home when the incident happened. “We had gone to the National Memorial Choeten around 9:30am to offer butter lamps,” she said. “Everything was burned when we reached home.”

RBP personals, Desuups, and volunteers doused the fire by 11am. It is believed that electric short circuit caused the accident.

The Office of the Gyalpoi Zimpon and Thimphu Dzongdag provided the six families, affected by the fire essential items including uniform sets and books for family’s school-going children. The families were also granted semso of Nu 10,000 each from His Majesty The King.

The RBP repaired a temporary shed for the affected families and provided each of family five mattresses, blankets, and pillows.

Dechen Tshomo

The affected families were provided immediate relief materials

Advertisement

Skip to toolbar