Four-year-old fire victim dies

Update: A four-year-old girl, one of the four children who were referred to Thimphu referral hospital on October 19 after they suffered more than 40 to 50 percent burn in a fire at the Chinese Lane in Jaigoan, died yesterday.
She was treated at the surgical ward of the Thimphu referral hospital.
Two girls died en route Thimphu hospital on the same day while a boy, the last survival of the tragic accident, is still admitted at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
The children were from four families who live in the Chinese Lane in Jaigoan. They were left locked from outside in a room when a fire occurred at around 9am on October 19.
The children were found unconscious inside when the locals (Indian) in the neighbourhood broke into the room, which was already filled with thick smoke.
Thimphu referral hospital’s medical superintendent Dr Gosar Pemba, over a telephonic interview, said the girl couldn’t survive because her respiratory and lungs were burnt (respiratory failure) from excess inhalation of smoke during the incident.
“When there is more than 40 to 50 percent burns on the skin, the protective membrane of the skin is burnt resulting in high chances of skin infection leading to death,” Dr Gosar Pemba said.
This is not the first tragic incident where children were left unattended and locked inside a room, Dr Gosar Pemba said.
“This should come as a reminder to every parent to not lock their children at home without adult supervision,” Dr Gosar Pemba said. “Any child at that age won’t know the dangers of playing with fire. This just shows how poor the safety measures are in place.”
Thinley Zangmo

1 reply
  1. amrithdiary
    amrithdiary says:

    When will our people really learn the lesson? How many times shall we keep counting the number of children being burned to death just due to the negligence of their parents? It’s really high time that we learn a bitter lesson by now. We should never leave our children unattended and locked in a house for a long time. Only a few months back, two children had died in Phuntsholing due to similar mistakes on the part of their parents and yet, it seems people have not learned a lesson out of that shocking tragedy!

    https://amrithdiary.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/fire-tragedies-a-gruesome-reminder-for-all/

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply