Tshering Namgyal | Mongar

Continuous rainfall for almost two days in Mongar damaged a newly constructed single-storey house partially due to landslide in Jaibab village in Mongar on May 21.

The gewog officials and around 20 villagers helped to remove the water that had entered the rooms and supported the walls with planks to avoid pressure from the mudslides.

The dzongkhag dispatched a backhoe to clear the mudslide at around 10am yesterday. It is expected to complete today. Dzongkhag officials visited the place for inspection yesterday.

Tashi Wangmo was in the house with her mother and son when the mudslide occurred.

She said the family had a busy night trying to dig drains. “We couldn’t even eat dinner,” she said.

“We gathered and placed our belongings in a corner of the sitting room.”

Only a month ago, the family shifted from a shack into their new home constructed with a loan of Nu 350,000 and additional amount borrowed from neighbours. Tashi Wangmo’s husband has started work at a private company to repay the loans.

“A part of wall and the window has been slightly damaged but I am relieved after the machine has come to clear the debris.”

Following a heavy downpour, a retention wall in Tsamang Primary School fell apart and broke through the window of the girl’s hostel. The wall was constructed just about five months ago.

In Balam gewog, a retention wall of the gewog’s ECCD attached to the primary school collapsed partially.

In Drepong gewog, a windstorm damaged an acre of wheat yesterday. It also affected maize fields of a few households in Jurmey gewog.

Cyclone Amphan left a trail of damages on the farm roads in Mongar.  “Almost all the farm roads in 17 gewogs and the GC roads in Jurmey, Kengkhar, Dramitse, Saling and Silambi gewogs were damaged. Narang road suffered major damages,” dzongkhag disaster management officer, Karma, said.

He said an assessment of the damages would be done once the weather improves.

Meanwhile, two roadblocks, one below the dzong and another at Dorjilung, stranded vehicles on the Gangola-Lhuentse highway had been cleared by Friday evening.