Rajesh Rai | Phuentsholing

After reporting positive cases from the community in the past two days, Phuentsholing residents will undergo a second round of mass testing from tomorrow until May 13, according to the Southern Covid-19 taskforce.

The first mass screening tested more than 8,000 residents between April 30 and May 2. Out of that a few were positive cases.

Just yesterday, Phuentsholing saw a positive Covid-19 case from the community. Positive cases from the community have also been reported in the past two days.

Meanwhile, the second phase of the lockdown relaxation in Phuentsholing, which was supposed to begin today will not happen. Relaxation had started on May 5. 

A resident Namgay said although the second mass screening was a good move it would be better to relax unaffected zones as announced during the first mass screening.

“It would be smart relaxation of the lockdown,” he said. 

When the controlled relaxation started on May 5, the delivery of groceries stopped. However, delivery of vegetables, fruits and meat were allowed until May 7 after which it was stopped. 

Many have taken to social media to share their problems of not getting vegetables. 

Meanwhile, people in Phuentsholing are questioning the status of Covid-19 containment due to the daily cases from the community since the lockdown was announced on April 16.

A resident, Kezang Thinley said the authorities made a mistake considering giving quarantine opportunities to hotels located in active community areas.

“For example, the lower area in the town, where few positive cases were reported is an Covid-19 active place,” he said, adding children are always out in the open playing.

Kezang Thinley said the hotel used as a quarantine facility was just at the centre of a happening community.

A total of 99 positive cases have been reported in Phuentsholing until yesterday. Of that, 43 are from the community, while the remaining 56 are from facility quarantine.

The third lockdown Phuentsholing was triggered after a 10-year-old boy student tested positive for the virus on April 16. Soon after his mother also tested positive.

The boy and the mother were discharged yesterday.