Advertisement

Connectivity: The construction of 46-metre girder bridge over Omchhu that commenced last year has missed its deadline because of specification changes in between.

It is among the projects aimed to decongest traffic in Phuentsholing town.

Construction started in May last year. It had 18 months for completion.

Nepal-based Tundi Construction Private limited has been doing the works for the project worth about Nu 90 million (M).

The thromde’s executive secretary, Wangchuk Thayey, said the design had to be changed because the contracting firm could not bear the re-costing.  “They said they cannot do and surrendered.”

The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is the funding agency that is providing 85 percent of the capital in loan. The remaining 15 percent is funded by the government.

However, the project will be re-tendered.

The bridge will connect another bridge on the same river near the crocodile conservation farm, from where a road will connect Phuentsholing-Thimphu highway near the RBA area. The bridge at the crocodile farm is also an ADB-funded project under South Asia Sub-regional Economic Cooperation (SASEC).

Due to limited scope to expand, Phuentsholing has become congested. Hundreds of trucks enter the town, travelling to Pasakha and the rest of the country.

With this bridge, trucks will not enter the town from the present main gate but from Bowbazaar.

Thromde will also relocate the current vegetable stalls in the town.

Development of Nu 116M-mini dry port is also in the plan to decongest the town.

Rajesh Rai | Phuentsholing

Advertisement

Skip to toolbar