Advertisement

Tshering Namgyal | Mongar

Eight affected families displaced by a fire incident at Yadi town on December 1 have been provided temporary shelter at Yadi Central School. However, only four families have chosen to live there. Others moved in with their relatives.

The fire that broke out at around 10:30am was contained at around 4pm with the help of four firefighting engines from Mongar, Kurichhu, Trashigang, and Lhuentse.  The police, de-suups, and volunteers contained the fire and managed to save other structures in the town. The fire razed three three-storey traditional buildings to the ground.

The firefighters dismantled a two-storied traditional house and a paan shop to create a fireline that helped save a chain of other houses in the town.

Except for two families, the belongings of all other six families, including two grocery shops and a restaurant, were lost to the fire.



One of the victims, Penjore, claims to have lost goods worth Nu 12 million in his shop in one of the buildings. He travels from his village in Thangrong gewog to Yadi.

Another victim, Karma Tobgay said he lost about Nu 90,000 in cash, and a refrigerator. He said it was all of a sudden, but the firefighters helped save his other belongings.  The firefighting team was also able to save the belongings of another family.

Although there were no casualties reported, a man suffered a minor burn injury to his face.

The victims were provided with disaster kits and sleeping items.

While the cause of the incident has yet to be ascertained, sources said an LPG cylinder from a restaurant is suspected to be the cause.

Edited by Tshering  Palden

Advertisement

Skip to toolbar