Football: Thimphu City FC trounced Drukpol FC 5-1 in the final match of the Yanmar Thimphu Premier League (YTPL), yesterday, ensuring their place in the third on goal difference.

The game started shakily for Thimphu City when an own goal from defender Jigme Tshering Dorji in the 25th minute put Drukpol FC in the lead. However, after five minutes City equalised when midfielder Passang Tshering crossed the ball to striker Ratu who headed it into the top right corner of the post.

City could have taken the lead in the 32nd minute when midfielder Karma Sherdrup Tshering missed a one-on-one opportunity with goalie Khandu Drukpa. Karma kicked the ball straight into the hands of the goalie.

An own goal from skipper Sangay Khandu doubled City’s lead in the 45+1 minute of the first half.

Ten minutes into the second half, City struck again when Passang Tshering booted in a powerful right-footer into the top right corner from just outside the 18-yard box.

The task got tougher for Drukpol FC when defender Jampel Sherub brought down substitute Tenzin Shelsang inside the box. The referee did not waver for a moment before pointing down to the spot. Skipper Tshering Dorji of Thimphu City missed the spot kick yet he managed to score one from a powerful strike minutes later

Tshering Dorji scored another goal in 90+2 minutes to seal the game for Thimphu City.

City’s manager, Hishey Tshering, said although his team has managed to secure third and move into the national league, the performance from his team was below average.

“With seven national players in the first half, we should have won the tournament,” he said. “This is the unpredictability of this game. It’s a team game.”

Champions FC Terton with 28 points, runners up Thimphu FC with 25 points and Thimphu City FC with 23 points will move on to the national league in July.

Defending champions, Druk United came fourth on goal difference with City. They will not play in the national league this year.

The trophies and cash prizes were awarded after the match. FC Terton took home the winning trophy along with Nu 400,000. Runners up Thimphu FC received a cash prize worth Nu 200,000 and Thimphu FC took away Nu 100,000.

FC Tertons’ captain, Kinley Wangchuk, was awarded with the trophy for the most valuable player of the tournament.

By Younten Tshedup