Advertisement

Thinley Namgay  

Bhutan Grand Prix, the first open international style compound archery tournament that was supposed to take place in Thimphu from May 12 to 15 has been postponed.

The tournament will be conducted from June 10 to 12 at the Changlimithang Stadium.

Officials said the deferment of the Bhutan Grand Prix was due to the postponement of the 19th Asian Games scheduled in China.




The Asian Games, supposed to held in September were deferred due to the ongoing pandemic. The new date for the games has not been decided by the organisers.

The online registration for the competition began last month. So far, 32 archers have applied.

The Bhutan Archery Federation (BAF) in collaboration with the Bhutan Olympic Committee and Woezer Events will conduct the maiden competition among men.

BAF’s compound archery coach, Tashi Tshering, said the registration would close a week before the main event. About 40 participants are expected.




Officials said the postponement of the grand prix is an opportunity for the organisers to attract more participants and to select the best archers.

After the tournament, eight players will be shortlisted; four will be selected to represent Bhutan in the upcoming Asian Games in Hangzhou, China. The shortlisted players will be paid during their training period.

Archers have to pay Nu 1,000 entry fee; there is no age limit.

Archers are allowed to use accessories such as sights and triggers.

Advertisement

Skip to toolbar