RECIPE: For Rice
1 cup rice, rinsed under cold running water until water runs clear, 1 table spoon (tsp) salt, 2 tbsp milk, half tsp saffron
For Chicken Biryani
1 large red onion, divided, 2 tsp oil, divided, 1 tomato, 2 tsp green chili paste, salt to taste, 1 tsp turmeric powder,1 .5 tbsp garlic paste, 1.5 tsp ginger paste, 1.5 tbsp garam masala, 1 tbsp yogurt, 1 tbsp ground coriander, 1 tsp red chili powder, Pinch of black pepper powder, 4 chicken drumsticks
1. After cleaning the rice, soak it in a pot with 2 cups of hot boiling water. Let it sit for 15 minutes. In the meantime, cut onion in half. Chop one half of the onion in finely chopped pieces while other half in medium thickness slices.
2. After 15 minutes of resting, turn on the heat and cook the rice for 10-12 minutes until rice is just cooked or al dente but not fully cooked as we. It can be cooked it in slow cooker. Once its just enough cooked, strain and rinse it under cold running water and keep aside.
3. In a small bowl, take milk and heat for 30 seconds in microwave. To it add saffron and crush it using back of spoon and let it sit.
4. Heat a skillet and add 1 tsp oil and to it add finely chopped onion pieces and cook until it is softened. Transfer the cooked onion pieces into a blender. Add one chopped tomato, green chili paste, salt, turmeric powder, garlic paste, ginger paste, garam masala, yogurt, ground coriander, red chili powder and black pepper powder and blend until you get a smooth paste.
5. In a bowl add cleaned chicken drumsticks and the paste you just made. Make sure to make some cuts in chicken so marinade seeps into the chicken. Cover and let chicken marinate for 15 minutes. Now in the same pan where you cooked onion pieces, add another tsp of oil and add sliced onions and cook on low heat to get them browned but not burnt.
6. Get your slow cooker ready by heating it up for 15 minutes. Turn of the switch and in the hot slow cooker, rub some oil on the base and sides of the bowl where we will be cooking. Lay marinated chicken pieces first, cover with half of the sliced browned onions, half of saffron milk. Cover with the half cooked rice and add the remaining browned sliced onions.
7. .Using an aluminium foil cover the top tightly and then cover this with the lid that came with slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 hours. Remove the aluminium foil and let it sit for 15-20 mins.
Serve with Raita.