A draw from the remaining two games will be enough for the team to claim the title 

Thinley Namgay

In an impressive comeback, Thimphu City defeated the defending champions Paro FC 4-2 in the ongoing BoB Bhutan Premier League at the Changlimithang Stadium yesterday. 

After trailing by two goals in the first half, City got back in the game through Kencho Tobgay’s goal in the early minutes of the second half. The striker scored his second seven minutes later.  

Kinga Rabgay scored the third and captain Tshering Dorji sealed the victory for the team in the 84th minute. The win takes the Cityzens a step closer to the league title. City only needs a point to lift the trophy.   With two games in hand, a draw would be enough to crown them champions. 

Thimphu City has won 11 of their 12 games so far with one draw against Ugyen Academy in the first round of the season. 

The game yesterday saw both the teams outperforming each other on many occasions. While it was an opportunity for the visitors to return the favour from the last game (Paro FC home), City wanted to maintain their record of zero losses.  

The home advantage did not work in favour of City as they gave away an early lead through a penalty. Things got worse as the home team conceded another goal before the half time.  

However, the tables turned completely in the second half as the Cityzens scored four goals in the remaining 45 minutes.  

Meanwhile, with 25 points Ugyen Academy is in the second position. Although the team from Punakha has three games in hand, a victory in all the three games will level them with City’s current points. 

City on the other hand has a two-game advantage. Should they lose both the games and Ugyen Academy win all their three games, it would then be decided by the goal difference. The two teams are 14 goals apart in favour of City.     

 Ugyen Academy’s opportunity to stay in the race for the championship was dampened when they gave away three crucial points following a 3-0 defeat at home from Paro FC on November 5.