Staff reporter

A fire outbreak at Changidaphu in Thimphu yesterday afternoon damaged 23 houses, 18 belonging to thromde staff. However, there were no casualties.   

According to residents, the fire is suspected to have started from a water boiler. 

Over 100 volunteers, including the Royal Bhutan Police, de-suups, and local residents, contained the fire by around 5.30pm. 

The affected thromde staff and families have been provided with basic necessities and are temporarily sheltered at thromde’s store and garage in Babesa and Sangaygang base, and the rest are placed at the Youth Centre. The Office of the Gyalpoi Zimpon delivered His Majesty’s Kidu semso to the affected families. 

A Thromde official said that the thromde staff living in squatter settlements in Changidaphu will soon be relocated to proper concrete houses built at lower Babesa and Sangaygang base, with approximately 90 percent of the construction already completed.