Girl dies from consuming poisonous mushroom

Chimi Dema | Tsirang

A three-year-old girl died on May 17 after consuming poisonous mushrooms with other three family members in Tsirang.

A family of four, including the child first visited the Tsirang district hospital on May 15 with complaints of nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting. They were discharged on the same day after they were given medications according to the symptoms.

But on the next morning, the child was again admitted to the hospital after her health deteriorated. Besides showing early nonspecific signs like vomiting and diarrhoea, the child was found to have developed seizures attack, indicating signs associated with mushroom poisoning, according to the health officials.

She was then referred to Gelephu regional referral hospital after consultation with the paediatrician on duty at the hospital. The child passed away at around 2am on May 17.

The other family members recovered without developing any complications at Tsirang hospital.

On the night of May 16, five people from Tsangkha in Dagana were also admitted to the hospital after eating poisonous mushrooms.

All of them except an 84-year-old man were sent home after keeping them under observation overnight. The official said that he is recovering now.

Health officials are cautioning the public to avoid consuming wild mushrooms unless it is confirmed to be safe for consumption.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply