Phurpa Lhamo | Wangdue

Druk Phuensum Tshogpa’s Member of Parliament from Nganglam, Choida Jamtsho, died on the night of April 18 after consuming a curry made of some wild plant in Baelangdra, Wangduephodrang. 

Two men, aged 33 and 44, who were with the MP, are in Bajo hospital. Health officials said they are in stable condition and are being monitored.

Late MP Choida Jamtsho

 The MP had reached Baelangdra on April 17 with his relative from Thimphu to meet another relative, who stays in Baelangdra, and went on a pilgrimage.

The trio consumed the plant at Baelangdra Nye at about 8pm. The Nye is located about an hour walking distance from the nearest road point.

After consuming the curry, they developed symptoms such as nausea, giddiness and vomiting. It was reported that the MP and the 44-year-old man experienced seizures. 

The MP’s relative called a neighbour for assistance. He later called 112 as all three started to experience similar symptoms.

Although a doctor and nurse were deployed to the area with an ambulance, the MP died before the health team reached the location.

The two individuals were brought to the hospital at 2.30am and 5.30am.

According to a medical staff, the journey for the medical team took longer than expected as the team had to walk in the dark to the Nye.

Locals identified the plant as Nyimchung, which isn’t edible

 The MP’s body was moved out of the Nye area between 1pm and 2pm yesterday. His body was taken to Thimphu.

Although pictures of the plant were shared with forest, agriculture teams, and the National Biodiversity Centre at Serbithang, the medical team is yet to identify the plant.

The team will send a live plant to the centre today. The toxicity level of the plant will also be studied.

Meanwhile, locals have identified the plant as Nyimchung, which is not edible.

Locals said that the trio might have misunderstood the plant to be Dhem, which is edible.