Celebration: The Office of the Gyaltshab is organising a carnival fair for the six eastern dzongkhags in Gyalpoizhing, Mongar from February 5-9 to commemorate the first birth anniversary of His Royal Highness the Gyalsey Jigme Namgyel Wangchuck.
The five-day event started yesterday with Chhana Dorje Suungchhog at the Gadhen Chhoying Lhakhang presided over by Lhalung Sungtrul Rinpoche and the offering of Karmey Tongchhoed as Kurim for the wellbeing of HRH The Gyalsey.
Over 7,000 people including monks, Members of Parliament, officials of six dzongkhags, armed forces, civil servants, business people, students, employees of regional agencies, participants and farmers from six dzongkhags attended the event yesterday. The gathering offered Zhabten to His Majesty The King and Zhabten to HRH The Gyalsey at the Gyalpoizhing stadium where the fair is being held.
Besides regular shops, over 150 stalls including exhibition stalls by farmers of the six eastern dzongkhags and regional agencies and other vendors (food and beverage, general vendors and open space games). More people are reportedly on the way to run stalls and attend the event in the coming days.
A three-day annual Gyalpoizhing tshechu commenced yesterday. Henceforth the tshechu will be held coinciding with the birth anniversary of HRH The Gyalsey.
The tshechu includes:
– Chhana Dorje (Vajrapani) Suungchhog at the Gadhen Chhoying Lhakhang as a Kurim for the well being of His Majesty The King and HRH The Gyalsey.
– Chhana Dorje Wang presided over by His Eminence Lhalung Jigdral Kunzang Pema Dorji Rinpoche.
– Sacred mask dances by monks of Thekchhog Namdrol Ugyen Chholing Dratshang, Drametse, Mongar.
– Presentation of unique traditional songs, dances and other cultural items of the six eastern dzongkhags.
– Varieties of cultural programmes by local people, civil servants, business communities, staff of regional agencies and students.
The fair includes:
– Exhibition of Royal Portraits and agriculture farming technologies.
– Live demonstration of traditional arts and crafts works by artisans of the six eastern dzongkhags.
– Sale of a variety of local arts & handicrafts, farm products, food and beverages, and other indigenous products and specialities of the six eastern dzongkhags.
– Live musical concert and entertainment by famous Bhutanese artists (singers and comedians).
– Boating at the Kurichhu Hydropower Plant (KHP)’s dam, movie screening, social night and varieties of other recreational and fun activities.
– Health Camp by His Majesty’s Kidu Mobile Medical Unit- (Medical Services include Medical Specialists, paediatricians, gynaecology, general surgery, urology, ultrasound, endoscopy, ENT and all required medicines).
– Semi Finals and Grand Finale of the ongoing Mewang Gyalsey Archery Tournament 2017. The tournament (using compound bows – Yangphel Style) is organised by the Office of the Gyaltshab, Gyalpoizhing as part of commemorating the first birth anniversary of HRH The Gyalsey. A total of 140 teams from 20 dzongkhags participated in the league round of the tournament held in 11 dzongkhags from January 12-21. Thirty-nine teams took part in the knockout round and 27 in the quarter finals held at Gyalpoizhing from January 27 to February 4. Nine teams participated in the Semi Finals held yesterday. The Grand Finale will be held either on February 8 or 9.