However, most have completed most of what was called for, viz., installation of GCPs

Pollution: Almost two weeks after missing the deadline set by the National Environment Commission (NEC), about four industries in Pasakha haven’t still completed installing the gas cleaning plant (GCP) to control pollution from fugitive emission.

Whether these industries in Pasakha are to face any action for missing the March 31 deadline will be decided this week.

Most of the industries’ officials said they failed to complete the installation of GCPs within the scheduled time because of the challenge they faced in procuring equipment from India.

The industries were inspected last week on their progress and compliance in tapping of fugitive fumes.  Last year, the industries had signed an agreement with the commission to implement a management plan to mitigate pollution and improve housekeeping.

Industries were supposed to complete the agreed tasks by March 31, which, if they failed to do so, would result in NEC shutting them down.

Following reports submitted to NEC by the industries, environment officials had visited the site and are currently working on what action should be imposed for missing the deadline.

However, commission officials said, they were satisfied with the compliance the industries made in fulfilling the agreed tasks.

An environment officer with the commission, who was part of the inspection team, Tshering Dorji, said most of the industries had completed about 95-100 percent of the job required.

“We also discussed verbally on the time extension,” Tshering Dorji said.

The industries have asked NEC for two more weeks to install the GCP, given the amount of time that was spent in procuring the equipment.

The agreement has four aspects that industries have to fulfil, such as controlling the fugitive emission during tapping of products, controlling fugitive emission from road traffic, self-monitoring, and improving general housekeeping activities.

Ugyen Ferro Alloys limited (UFAL) started operating its GCP from April 10.  The alloy manufacturer, which had shut down its furnace about a week ago because of stock piled up, has now started producing ferrosilicon in low volume.

Druk Wang Alloys limited (DWAL) received its mortar and fan about four days ago from India.

The DWFAL general manager, administration, KB Sunwar, said they would complete the installation soon. “At the most, it’ll take a week,” he said. “We’re equally concerned.”

DWFAL also has increased its workforce for the installation work.

The Pelden Enterprise limited (PEL) is also left with a handful of modification works.  Its plant is operational, along with the tapping of fugitive fumes.

A director with PEL, Dorji Phuntsho, said they needed to train themselves and get used to. “Within that time, problems may arise,” he said.

Rajesh Rai, Phuentsholing